Auditor (15-month term)
Our Trust Assurance department is seeking an Auditor on a 15-month term, to start as soon as possible. Working under the supervision of the Manager and Trust Assurance Team Leaders, the Trust Assurance Auditor conducts compliance audits in accordance with Rule 3-85 to ensure compliance with the Law Society’s Division 7 Rules and reviews annual Trust Reports.
The duties of this position include:
- Conducting visits to new and established law firms throughout BC to perform compliance audits to ensure lawyers comply with the trust accounting rules and to identify potential misconduct related to financial matters.
- Providing feedback to lawyers regarding their level of compliance with the rules and what steps should be taken to remedy any deficiencies and recommending non-compliant firms to Professional Conduct, or Practice Standards Departments.
- Reviewing annual Trust Report submissions and using professional judgment to determine if the firm’s level of compliance with the Division 7 Rules is acceptable.
- Composing letters and reviewing correspondence from lawyers regarding Trust Reports, rule violations and other matters.
- Responding to inquiries regarding trust accounting, the Trust Administration Fee and Division 7 rule interpretations.
- Participating in the review and refinement of the Trust Assurance Program, including the continued development of audit procedures, review and revision of the Division 7 rules, and reference material such as the Trust Accounting Handbook.
- Assisting new firms in understanding the rules and answer questions on site and any future questions regarding the Law Society Accounting Rules.
- Providing oral evidence supporting the referral to Professional Conduct, when required.
- Such other duties as the manager may require.
- CPA, CA, CGA, or CMA designation
- Advanced training in fraud related courses or CFE or CIA designation considered an asset
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
- A professional, mature, and confident disposition
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and capable of performing autonomously while meeting strict deadlines
- Knowledge of the Law Society’s Division 7 Trust Accounting Rules in addition to general law firm accounting
Travel within the Vancouver and surrounding areas will be required. The applicant must hold a valid BC driver’s licence and have access to a vehicle. Limited travel outside of Vancouver but within BC will also be required.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. The closing date for this competition is September 9, 2015. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Internal Services Clerk
Our Operations department is seeking an Internal Services Clerk. This position reports to the Operations Supervisor and is responsible for the set-up and clean-up of all meeting room facilities and Bencher lounge. This includes arrangements of furniture configurations and the set-up of beverages, food and any special equipment. The clerk orders supplies required for coffee rooms, servery and the Bencher lounge. The clerk also delivers and processes mail and lists custodial client files.
The duties of this position include:
- Cleaning and stocking the servery and 6 kitchens located throughout the offices daily.
- Ordering and stocking of kitchen supplies such as milk, coffee, tea, other coffee supplies and basic kitchen supplies and cleaning products.
- Monitoring portable laptops and audio-visual equipment to ensure they are in good working order.
- Up keeping the Benchers’ lounge, offices and phone rooms and their supplies.
- Such other duties as assigned by the Manager of Operations or the Operations Supervisor.
High school diploma or equivalent with two years of experience in an office environment and/or the hospitality industry. There are some physical demands, such as the moving and or lifting of furniture, boxes and equipment.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for this competition is September 3, 2015. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Manager, Forensic Accounting and Trust Compliance
The Trust Regulation Group is seeking a Manager, Forensic Accounting and Trust Compliance. This role is responsible for overseeing the operations of both departments to ensure the effective and efficient regulation of trust funds handled by BC law firms.
Reporting to the Director, Trust Regulation, the Manager oversees a department of 22, including 2 team leaders, 3 forensic accountants, 11 compliance auditors and 6 administrative staff.
The duties of this position include:
- Providing leadership and mentorship to the Forensic Accounting and Trust Assurance departments.
- Key liaison between Trust Regulation group and other Regulatory departments within the Law Society.
- Development and oversight of Forensic Accounting and Trust Assurance policies and procedures, including trust accounting (internal control) rules and regulations for all B.C. lawyers and law firms.
- Managing and oversight of an operating budget of $2.5 million.
- Reporting to management and Benchers includes operating metrics and key performance measures.
- Providing leadership and management of all Forensic Accounting Investigations, and related matters, file monitors, and forensic assists performed by internal and external forensic accountants, including interviewing members and presenting evidence at Law Society hearings and/or court.
- Acting as Team Leader/oversight over forensic accounting investigations performed by external accountants.
- Development and oversight of Forensic Accounting policies and procedures.
Trust Assurance Program
- Providing leadership and effective management in the development, design, continued oversight and improvement of the Trust Assurance Program, which includes the completion of approximately 500 compliance audits of BC law firms each year.
- Development and oversight of Trust Assurance policies and procedures.
- Developing and maintaining Risk and Compliance analysis and selection criteria risk rating tools, used in prioritizing the review of annual trust filings and compliance audit schedules.
- Providing trust assurance advice to B.C. lawyers. Developing resource materials and presenting to external groups.
- Such other duties as required.
- Professional Accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA or CMA), plus a Diploma in Forensic Accounting (DIFA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Certified Financial Forensics (CFF), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) designation, or advanced training in fraud/forensic investigation and internal audit standards. Depending on forensic accounting experience, DIFA is preferred (or willing to complete).
- A minimum of 10 - 15 years of relevant experience in the areas of forensic accounting, internal audit, auditing, fraud.
- Excellent leadership and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and team building skills.
- Requires the ability to meet changing deadlines, and priorities in highly stressful situations.
- Knowledge of Trust Accounting Rules as well as various sections of the Legal Profession Act and the Code of Professional Conduct for British Columbia is preferred.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. The closing date for this competition is August 18, 2015. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information, contact Human Resources.
Working at the Law Society
Law Society staff, volunteers and Benchers (our board of governors) are committed to one common goal: protecting the public interest in the administration of justice by setting and enforcing standards of professional conduct for lawyers.
We are an organization that values diversity, equity and a shared sense of purpose. Our annual employee survey consistently reveals that the Law Society ranks much higher than other organizations in employee engagement, making us a very desirable place to work.
We seek high-performing individuals who enjoy challenging and interesting work, a supportive team environment and a healthy work/life balance.