Member Services Representative
The Law Society is recruiting a Member Services Representative, who will report to our Manager, Credentials & Licensing.
The Manager, Credentials & Licensing is responsible for the work performed by the Member Services department, whose overall function is to ensure that Law Society standards are met for all applications relating to membership admission. The successful candidate will work as part of a team and their responsibilities will include:
- Providing advice to a variety of inquiries received from applicants for admission.
- Determining whether to approve applications for admission, membership and returning to practice, or to refer to the Manager.
- Coordinating a variety of detailed transactional activity including the Call and Admissions ceremony, the Bencher interview process, annual fee billing and 2nd installment of insurance.
- Processing of applications: responding to inquiries related to Juricert authentications.
- Processing of financial transactions including collection of application and completing refund requests.
- Implementing new directives such as the mandatory Continuing Professional Development program.
- Deciding when to refer matters of non-compliance regarding mandatory practice requirements to Manager.
- Ensuring that the records and information on the centralized LSIS database for the organization and the public is accurate and up-to-date.
- Providing advice to the public on issues relating to location of their legal files, wills and duplicate certificates of titles and preparing affidavits when necessary.
- Performing other related duties and participating in special projects as assigned by the Manager.
The nature of the work requires a high level of comfort and credibility at all levels of the organization. Four years of experience in a legal office environment with a focus on customer service and people interaction and graduation from a legal secretary program would be an asset. Other requirements include excellent oral and written communication skills, demonstrated analytical ability, well-developed time management skills, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Strong Microsoft Office skills and database skills are a “must have.”
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for this competition is June 21, 2013.
Working with other members of the Regulatory Management team, the Manager, Discipline ensures fair, consistent, thorough and transparent regulatory processes.
Based in Vancouver and reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, the Manager, Discipline is responsible for the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the Discipline Department within the requirements of the Legal Profession Act and Law Society Rules. The Manager provides leadership and direction to the department to ensure high quality representation at disciplinary hearings, Bencher reviews, interim proceedings and BC Court of Appeal proceedings.
A practising member of the Law Society of BC, or eligible for membership, the ideal candidate will bring a successful track record of litigation and administrative law experience. He or she has experience managing a department or personnel, and experience with budget management. Regulatory experience is a strong asset.
To explore this exciting opportunity further, please contact Ken Werker, Kathryn Young or Amrit Rai in the Vancouver office of Odgers Berndtson at 604.685.0261, or submit your resume and related information online at www.odgersberndtson.ca/en/careers/11584.
Working at the Law Society
Law Society staff, volunteers and Benchers (our board of governors) are committed to one common goal: protecting the public interest in the administration of justice by setting and enforcing standards of professional conduct for lawyers.
We are an organization that values diversity, equity and a shared sense of purpose. Our annual employee survey consistently reveals that the Law Society ranks much higher than other organizations in employee engagement, making us a very desirable place to work.
We seek high-performing individuals who enjoy challenging, and interesting work, a supportive team environment and a healthy work/life balance.