Students must complete the Law Society Admission Program satisfactorily before applying for call and admission to the Bar.

Approximately six weeks before their anticipated licence date, students will receive a package from the Law Society that includes the application for call and admission, information about the membership options and applicable fees.

After completion of all requirements for call and admission and approval of appropriate documentation, the student must take the barristers and solicitors oath prior to becoming eligible for practice.

New lawyers must be presented to the court in a call and admission ceremony, although they do not need to attend that ceremony prior to issuance of their practising certificate. Presentation to the court is required, however, before the first renewal of a certificate (i.e., before the end of the calendar year in which the new lawyer qualifies for call and admission).

As an exception, if a new lawyer qualifies for the first time in the last four months of the calendar year, the new lawyer may have his or her certificate renewed once without presentation in court. The lawyer must be presented to the court before the end of the calendar year after the one in which he or she qualifies for call and admission.

When a new lawyer applies for call and admission he or she will be informed of the options available for presentation to the court.


Lawyers transferring to BC must complete the transfer process. To be called and admitted in BC, a transfer candidate must either:

  • attend a call ceremony and be presented in open court; or
  • before beginning the practice of law, take the barristers and solicitors oath before a judge or a practising lawyer.

A candidate opting to take the oath before a judge or practising lawyer will not be entitled to renew his or her practising certificate until after having attended a call ceremony.

Call ceremonies outside the Lower Mainland

Arrangements can be made to be called at a regional call ceremony elsewhere in BC. To arrange a ceremony or for more information, contact Credentials and Member Services.