If you have a common law degree from a Canadian university

BC is a common law jurisdiction, and in order to practise law in BC, you are required to have a degree in common law. A Canadian law school graduate wishing to practise law in BC must complete the Law Society's 12-month Admission Program, which includes articles and the Professional Legal Training Course (PLTC).

If you completed your law degree outside Canada

If you have completed a law degree outside Canada and want to practise law in a Canadian common law jurisdiction such as BC, you must obtain a Certificate of Qualification from the National Committee on Accreditation.

The National Committee on Accreditation assesses the legal education and professional experience of individuals who obtained their credentials outside Canada and may impose further educational requirements before it will issue a Certificate of Qualification. Applicants should expect the NCA to review their legal education and professional experience (if any) and require them to do the following:

  • acquire Canadian legal knowledge through self-study and/or courses at a Canadian law school; and
  • successfully complete several examinations.

The UBC Distance Learning Program offers online courses designed to meet the needs of foreign-trained lawyers and law students.

If you complete a law degree outside of Canada and wish to practise law in BC, these requirements may take a substantial amount of time and can cost a significant amount of money.