A lawyer transferring to BC from another Canadian jurisdiction under Law Society Rule 2-80 as an in-house counsel may apply to the Credentials Committee to be exempted from the requirement to write examinations or fulfil a reading requirement of Law Society Rule 2-81.

Lawyers who are called and admitted as an in-house counsel must practise law in BC only on behalf of the lawyer's employer or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates.

If you wish to move into a new practice situation, this restriction may be removed by the Credentials Committee in the following circumstances:

  • If you are entitled to practise law in a reciprocating jurisdiction under the National Mobility Agreement (or at the time of transferring to BC were entitled to practise law in a jurisdiction that is now a reciprocating jurisdiction) the Credentials Committee may allow you to be relieved of the practice restriction on completion of the prescribed reading requirement.
  • If you have already practised full time in BC for two years, the committee may require only completion of the prescribed reading requirement.
  • In some instances, lawyers must write and pass the required examination, or in certain circumstances (such as where the lawyer has practised full-time in BC for two years) by fulfilling the reading requirement under Rule 2-81.

For more information, contact Credentials and Member Services.


Additional information

Law Society Rule 2-80 (In-house counsel)

Law Society Rule 2-81 (Transfer under National Mobility Agreement and Territorial Mobility Agreement)

National Mobility Agreement