New Law Society website
January 25, 2005
The Law Society invites all BC lawyers to visit its newly updated website. The site features a new design, improved navigation and more extensive content, particularly in the areas of licensing, membership, regulation and insurance.
There is also now a "log-in" section of the site for members of the profession. At present, the log-in section offers secure access to Law Society web forms. In the near future it will also feature access to electronic mailboxes that will be assigned to lawyers for receipt of Law Society electronic notices and publications. (Further details on electronic mailboxes will be communicated at a later date.)
The address of the Law Society website has not changed, but please be sure to reset any bookmarks for pages you visit because the paths to those pages will have changed. To visit the site, please go to www.lawsociety.bc.ca
- About the Law Society: an overview of the Society and information on the Benchers, governance policies and minutes of Benchers meetings, as well as information on departments, committees and task forces and volunteers
- Regulation & Insurance: a new section detailing Law Society regulatory programs – conduct and discipline, ethics, practice standards, trust assurance and reporting, insurance and trust protection coverage – as well as hearing dates and hearing panel decisions
- Licensing & Membership: a new section, offering information on becoming a lawyer and full details on requirements and procedures respecting new admissions, transfers, PLTC, temporary practice in BC, requalification & reinstatement and member status changes
- Publications & Forms: resource material published by the Law Society, including the Benchers' Bulletin, notices, reports and forms as well as the Legal Profession Act, Law Society Rules and Professional Conduct Handbook
- Practice Support: helpful articles, papers & precedents, including the Practice Checklists Manual, and information on practice advice and personal assistance services
- Lawyer Lookup: a popular tool to verify the status and contact information for a BC lawyer
- Public: a section directed at clients and potential clients on finding a lawyer, working with a lawyer, lawyers' fees, lawyer conduct and complaints and unclaimed trust funds
- Media: a section directed at the media and including news releases and information of specific interest to reporters.
A website is always a work-in-progress, and your comments – including suggestions for content or features you would like to see – are welcome. Please email your comments to Denise Palmer, Member Communications Manager, at email@example.com .
If you have questions on web forms within the log-in section of the site, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (respecting the trust report and annual practice declaration) or email@example.com (respecting the form for reporting mortgage discharge failures).