Special General Meeting
Posted: February 27, 2002
Friday, April 12, 2002
Registration: 11:45 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Call to order: 12:30 p.m.
B.C. lawyers are invited to attend a Special General Meeting of the Law Society requested by members and convened by the Benchers pursuant to Rule 1-9 of the Law Society Rules. The meeting will be held on Friday, April 12 at:
- Vancouver - Four Seasons Hotel, Arbutus Room, 791 West Georgia Street
The meeting will also join the following locations by audioconference:
- Cranbrook - The offices of Steidl, Kambeitz and Bennett, 201 - 907 Baker Street
- Fort St. John - The offices of Hope, Callison, Lord, 9830 - 110 Avenue
- Kamloops - The offices of Morelli Chertkow, 300 - 180 Seymour Street
- Kelowna - The Coast Capri Hotel, 1171 Harvey Avenue
- Nanaimo - The Coast Bastion Inn, 11 Bastion Street
- Nelson - The offices of Suffredine, Gartner, 466 Josephine Street
- Prince George - The offices of Heather, Sadler, Jenkins, 700 - 550 Victoria Street
- Terrace - The offices of Warner, Bandstra, Brown, 200 - 4630 Lazelle Avenue
- Victoria - The Coast Harbourside Hotel, 146 Kingston Street
The business to be considered at the Special General Meeting is:
- The diversion of funds collected pursuant to the special 7% tax on legal services from the provision of legal aid.
- The effect of government cuts on access to justice in British Columbia.
- Condemning the Attorney General for diverting funds from the provision of legal aid and thereby reducing access to justice in British Columbia.
If you plan to attend the meeting and have any special access needs, please contact Susan Atkinson at the Law Society office at your earliest convenience so that arrangements can be made. She can be reached at tel. (604) 443-5782 or toll free in B.C. 1-800-903-5300; fax (604) 646-5919; TTY (604) 443-5700; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.