Election of Benchers for 2000 – 2001 term and referendum
October 22, 1999
Pursuant to Law Society Rule 1-23, I declare that the following candidates are elected as Benchers by acclamation:
- District No. 2 (County of Victoria) 1 to be elected: Ralston S. Alexander, Q.C.
- District No. 3 (County of Nanaimo) 1 to be elected: D. Peter Ramsay, Q.C.
- District No. 5 (County of Kootenay) 1 to be elected: Gerald J. Kambeitz, Q.C.
- District No. 6 (Okanagan) 1 to be elected: Howard R. Berge
- District No. 7 (County of Cariboo) 1 to be elected: Patricia L. Schmit
- District No. 8 (County of Prince Rupert) 1 to be elected: G. Ronald Toews
- District No. 9 (Kamloops) 1 to be elected: Robert W. McDiarmid, Q.C.
James G. Matkin
B. Benchers who continue to hold office without re-election
Under Law Society Rule 1-20(2), the number of Benchers to be elected from the County of Westminster (District No. 4) was reduced from 3 to 2 because Karl Warner, Q.C. now holds the office of First Vice-President. The number of Benchers to be elected from the County of Victoria (District No. 2) was reduced from 2 to 1 because Richard Margetts now holds the office of Second Vice-President. Similarly, the number of Benchers to be elected from the County of Cariboo (District No. 7) was reduced from 2 to 1 because Richard Gibbs was elected at the Annual General Meeting as Second Vice-President for 2000. Under Law Society Rule 1-3(4), these three individuals continue as Benchers without further election until they complete their terms as President.