Completing a law degree outside Canada 

After completing your law degree outside Canada, you must obtain a Certificate of Qualification from the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) before seeking admission to a law society in any Canadian common law jurisdiction.

The NCA assesses the legal education and professional experience of individuals who obtained their credentials outside Canada and may impose further educational requirements before it will issue a Certificate. You should expect the NCA to review your legal education and professional experience (if any) and require you to do the following:

  • acquire Canadian legal knowledge through self-study and/or courses at a Canadian law school, and
  • successfully complete several examinations.

See UBC Distance Learning Program, for online courses designed to meet the needs of foreign-trained lawyers and law students.

These requirements may take a substantial amount of time and can cost a significant amount of money. 

For more information about how your law degree may be assessed by the NCA and the requirements that may be imposed, go to:

NCA Frequently Asked Questions
NCA Assessment Policy
NCA Advisory Alerts

Read about one student’s experiences: The NCA Student Experience, courtesy of Canadian Lawyer magazine, August 13, 2012.

For more information, contact Member Services or the National Committee on Accreditation.