Establishing an economic nexus

If you establish an economic nexus with BC, you are no longer eligible to practise law on an occasional basis in BC and must cease doing so immediately. You may, however, apply to become a member of the Law Society of BC, or apply for an inter-jurisdictional practice permit.

If you are working for a law firm with offices throughout the country, you do not establish an economic nexus by reason only that you practise law from an office that is affiliated with a law office in a province or territory of Canada in which you are authorized to practise law (Law Society Rule 2-10.21(3)).

For more information, contact Member Services