Applying to PLTC
Before applying to the Professional Legal Training Course (PLTC), you must already:
- have legal knowledge of eight core areas of practice (Read What you need to know if you plan to practise in BC);
- be enrolled in the Law Society Admission Program;
- have entered into and filed an Articling Agreement;
- reviewed the information regarding PLTC or read the Admission Program Circular.
How to register for PLTC
Step 1 Gather your required documents:
- ensure your principal agrees to you attending the session(s) you are requesting; and
- download and complete the Professional Legal Training Course Registration Form (also included in the Law Society Admission Program package).
Step 2 Send your completed registration form and your articling principal’s written consent by mail to the Law Society before the deadline for the session requested.
Indicate a first and a later second choice of a PLTC session, and be prepared to attend either session. There is no guarantee that you will be admitted to your first choice.
It is your responsibility to ensure the Law Society receives your application before the deadline date(s) for the session(s) requested.
Confirmation and wait-listing
The Law Society does not reserve places for students in PLTC. An early application is to your advantage. Feel free to consult with us about the availability of sessions when you think you are getting close to arranging articles.
For applications received on or before the deadline:
- The Law Society will make every effort to enroll you in the session of your choice
- Priority is given to students at firms outside the Lower Mainland
- Firms with three or more students should ensure that students are evenly distributed over the three PLTC sessions or they will be asked to move some of the students to another session
- Students applying for oversubscribed sessions will be waitlisted by date of receipt of the registration form by PLTC.
- Students may still be admitted if there is space in the session
- For full sessions, applications will be added to the waiting list, in the order received
Please contact us if you are about to enter into an articling contract and would like to know of current space in each session.
Confirmation of acceptance into a session is sent approximately six weeks after the registration deadline.
Once confirmed, a student may not transfer to another session unless space is available, and the principal consents.