Transfers from another country

A lawyer seeking to be called to the bar in British Columbia who has obtained a law degree in a country other than Canada or a law degree in the Civil Code must first obtain a Canadian LL.B. degree or a Certificate of Qualification issued by the National Committee on Accreditation(NCA) (Law Society Rule 2-54(4)).

Completing your law degree outside Canada – what you need to know

You may then apply to enrol in the Law Society Admission Program.

A lawyer with practice experience in a common law jurisdiction outside Canada may apply for a reduction in the nine-month articling term or an exemption from all or part of the Professional Legal Training Course (PLTC).

If you are not resident in Canada, please consult the Canadian immigration authorities at an Embassy or High Commission office in your area with regard to immigration requirements.

For more information, contact Member Services