Provincial Court Practice Direction
The Provincial Court of BC has issued a Practice Direction for:
- Colwood — South Vancouver Island District
- Duncan — South Vancouver Island District
- Kelowna — Okanagan District
Regarding Arraignment and Trial Confirmation Hearings, Compliance and Administrative Court Sittings. The directive has three objectives:
1. To authorize Judicial Case Managers by assignment to deal with virtually all administrative and remand matters (including arraignment and trial confirmation hearings).
2. To provide a simplified and efficient means of managing breach matters to secure a timely determination of the matter.
3. To provide a prompt hearing where there has been a failure, on the part of counsel or an accused, to comply with the Criminal Caseflow Management Rules that require senior judicial attention to address issues that lead to backlog in the justice system.