Queen’s Counsel: 2006 call for nominations
BC lawyers interested in making a 2006 Queen’s Counsel nomination are reminded that an application package, including forms and instructions, is available from the website of the Ministry of Attorney General at www.ag.gov.bc.ca/queens-counsel/index.htm. The deadline for nominations is November 1, 2006. Appointments will be announced by the end of the year.
Anyone, outside of the immediate family of nominees or nominees themselves, can submit a nomination by completing an application form. It must be accompanied by a statement of support from two nominators and a nominee’s curriculum vitae or brief biography and may also include no more than five letters of support.
A candidate for Queen’s Counsel must:
- belong to the BC bar and have been a member for at least five years; and
- demonstrate professional integrity, good character and excellence in the practice of law. Such excellence could be determined by any of the following:
- being acknowledged by his or her peers as a leading counsel or exceptionally gifted practitioner;
- having demonstrated exceptional qualities of leadership in the profession, including in the conduct of the affairs of the Canadian Bar Association, the Law Society and other legal organizations;
- having done outstanding work in the fields of legal education or legal scholarship.
All submissions will be reviewed by an advisory committee, which will also recommend deserving candidates to the Attorney General. The committee is comprised of the Chief Justice of British Columbia, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the Chief Judge of the Provincial Court, two members of the Law Society appointed by the Benchers (President and First Vice-President) and the Deputy Attorney General.
The Attorney General retains authority to directly appoint lawyers who meet the eligibility criteria. It is expected this power will only be exercised in exceptional circumstances.
For more information, contact:
Office of the Deputy Attorney General
11th Floor, 1001 Douglas Street
PO Box 9290 Stn. Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9J7
Tel: 250 356-0149