Depression – Do you know the signs?
Feeling low from time to time is normal. But clinical depression is more than just a blue day. Symptoms may include one or more of the following:
- Loss of interest and enjoyment in usual activities and hobbies
- Feeling hopeless, down, or in despair
- Severe mood swings within short periods of time
- Sleep disturbances — insomnia, sleep disruption, restlessness, early morning awakening
- Low energy most of the time
- Changes in eating patterns — loss of appetite or bingeing
- Feeling bad about yourself or believing that you are a failure
- Trouble concentrating on tasks, feeling distracted
- Thoughts of self-harm
- Destructive or “out of control” behaviours — heavy drinking, reckless driving, unsafe or compulsive sexual behaviours.
Help is available. For professional and confidential assistance at no cost, call Interlock at 604 431-8200 (Lower Mainland) or 1-800-663-9099.