There are several ways to file a complaint.


Read the complaint form information sheet, then fill out and submit the online complaint form.

By email, postal mail or fax

Read the complaint form information sheet, then download and print the complaint form. Fill it out and submit it to the Law Society by email, postal mail or fax.


  • Send the completed form by Canada Post or courier to the following address:

Attention: Intake Officer
Professional Conduct
Law Society of British Columbia
845 Cambie Street
Vancouver BC  V6B 4Z9


  • Fax the completed form to 604.605.5399.

The Law Society does not charge for its services and you do not need to retain a lawyer to represent you.

If you have difficulty speaking or writing English, consider having a friend or someone in the community help you with the complaint form. If that is not possible, we may be able to help you if an appropriate linguist is employed at the Law Society. The Law Society is not responsible for providing or paying for translation services if no such linguist is available.

How long does the process take?

There is no set time for an investigation of a complaint. Generally speaking, the more serious or complex the issues, the longer the review of a complaint will take. However, the Law Society does its best to handle all complaints promptly and fairly. About 85 per cent of complaints are resolved within one year.

Read about The Complaints Process.

For more information, contact

Contact the Indigenous Navigator

The Indigenous Navigator provides support and guidance to Indigenous complainants, witnesses and parties through our complaints and regulatory processes. Contact the Indigenous Navigator at for assistance and learn more here.

Before filing a complaint, discuss your concerns with the lawyer or the lawyer's firm.

Misunderstandings can arise because of a lack of communication. Often you can resolve these misunderstandings simply by discussing your concerns.

If you cannot resolve your issue with your lawyer, you may want to file a complaint with the Law Society. You can submit your complaint using our online form, or by printing our downloadable form and submitting it by email (by scanning the completed form), by fax or by mail.

All complaints must be in writing and must include the following:

  • the lawyer's name
  • details of your concern
  • your name, address and phone number
  • copies of any relevant documents