Apply for an exemption from compulsory liability coverage

A lawyer may apply for an exemption from maintaining compulsory liability coverage if they meet one of the requirements under Rule 3-43:

  • employed by or seconded to one of the following and are opting to claim an exemption:
  • a federal, provincial, territorial or municipal government department or a Crown corporation;
  • a society or association;
  • a partnership or corporation, other than a law firm;
  • a trade union; or
  • a regulatory body.
  • provide research and opinion services to an indemnified member and have no client contact whatsoever (includes law professors rendering research and opinion services to government).
  • not engaged in the practice of law at present (for reasons including a sabbatical, maternity or parental leave, or unemployment).
  • engaged in the practice of law for no fee, gain or reward, whether direct or indirect, from the person(s) for whom the service(s) is provided.
  • reside* outside of British Columbia and are not engaged in the practice of BC law.
  • reside* outside of British Columbia in a Canadian jurisdiction, are a member of that jurisdiction’s law society, are entitled to practise law in that jurisdiction, and maintain the full professional liability insurance or indemnification coverage required in that jurisdiction.
  • a Canadian Legal Advisor authorized to practise law in BC and maintain full professional liability insurance coverage required by the Barreau du Québec that extends to your practice in BC.

* Resident has the meaning with respect to a province or territory that it has with respect to Canada in the Income Tax Act (Canada).

Apply for an exemption

Practising lawyers

If you currently hold practising membership with the Law Society and only wish to change your indemnity status, you can submit an online application via the link in the sidebar or the Member Portal. If your application is approved, you will be invoiced for the difference in fees (see Schedule 2 – note that GST will be added to the listed fees).

Non-practising and retired lawyers

If you currently hold non-practising or retired membership with the Law Society and wish to return to practising membership, you must submit an application for Return to Practice rather than an online application for a stand-alone indemnity change.

Applicants for admission or reinstatement

If you are applying for admission to the Law Society or seeking to reinstate your membership, you must submit the relevant paper-based application rather than a stand-alone application for indemnity coverage. Please see the related page on our website for more information on the application process for admission and reinstatement: